hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mehdi Ben Haj Abbes <mehdi.ab...@gmail.com>
Subject When compactions become major ones
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2016 14:52:31 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm using hbase 0.98. I have heavy writes workload. I'm writing to one
table with one CF compressed with GZ. My table is pre splitted to 27
regions. As I start writing to this table I start seeing HFiles of the size
of 2-4 MB across the regions. I have the default hbase configuration for
compaction properties. The compactions start as soon as I start writing to
HBase but many of these compaction are major ones. I can see this through
HBase master UI on the table details view. So I wanted to understand when a
compaction becomes major.

Another question, If I'm not wrong we have a memstore per region, so when a
memstore is flushed I will have a HFile with 128MB but I only see files
with 42MB (without compression and 2.5MB when compressed with GZ).

Any explanation ?

Thanks in advance.
--
Mehdi BEN HAJ ABBES