hbase-user mailing list archives

From Akmal Abbasov <akmal.abba...@icloud.com>
Subject HBase poor write performance
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 16:28:38 GMT
Hi,
I'm testing HBase to choose the right hardware configurations for a heavy write use case.
I'm testing using YCSB.
The cluster consist of 2 masters, and 5 regionservers(4 cores, 14GB ram, 4x512GB SSD).
I've created a new table in HBase, presplit it to 50 regions. I'm running 3 clients each
running 50 threads, to insert data.
I'm using the default HBase settings. After running few tests, I can see that the cluster
is underutilized, in fact memory usage is around 30%.
The main problem I see for now is compactions, compactionQueueLength is growing very fast,
and compaction process is always running.
I found that there are hbase.regionserver.thread.compaction.small and hbase.regionserver.thread.compaction.large
but couldn't find information regarding their default values.
I am also planing to increase the regions number and the memstore size to increase utilization
of the cluster and performance.
Which other settings should be tuned to improve both utilization and performance?
Thank you.

I'm using HBase 0.98.7 and regionserver heap size is 7GB.

Regards, Akmal