hbase-user mailing list archives

From rahul gidwani <rahul.gidw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hbase data migration from version 0.94 to 0.98
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 18:26:14 GMT
Hi Samir,

We did this migration without any downtime.  You can look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-12814.

Basically the steps are as follows:
1. Apply HBASE-12814 for 94 branch and 98 branches respectively.
2. Rolling restart all regionservers with the thrift replication parameter
on.
3. Add a new replication source to have thrift protocol.
4. You can distcp (if you can afford downtime) or you can take a hbase
snapshot and Export Snapshots if you can't
5. pause replication on the source side (no writes to destination)
6. upgrade hbase and hadoop
7. do the same on the other side
8. add a new peer for native replication (protobuf) make sure thrift
backlog has drained
9. Revert HBASE-12814 patches

I know its quite a few steps but we did this successfully with a few large
clusters 1000+ nodes (upgrading from hadoop-1.x / hbase-94.x -> hadoop-2.x
/ hbase-98.x