hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 答复: hbase 'transparent encryption' feature is production ready or not?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 04:26:30 GMT
> We are now confident to use this feature.

You should test carefully for your use case in any case.

> HSM is a good option, I am new to it. But will look at it.

I recommend using HDFS's transparent encryption feature instead of HBase
transparent encryption if you're only just now thinking about HSMs and key
protection in general. Storing the master key on the same nodes as the
encrypted data will defeat protection. This should be offloaded to a
protected domain. Hadoop ships with a software KMS that, while it has
limitations, can be set up on a specially secured server and HDFS TDE can
take advantage of it. (HBase TDE doesn't support the Hadoop KMS.)

Advice offered for what it's worth (smile)

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)