hbase-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Ilyin <alexan...@weborama.com>
Subject Column families
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:44:36 GMT
Hi,

A general question regarding column families. It is said in the doc that
HBase doesn't do well with more than 2-3 column families because flushing
and compactions are done on a per region basis which should be addressed in
the future: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#number.of.cfs

Is it still the case in new versions of HBase or there were some
improvements on this?

I also don't understand why using several column families might be useful
even if data access is column scoped. Why can't we just create several
tables instead? Row key is stored with every cell anyway and it's possible
to filter by column when querying.

In general, I don't see when it might make sense to have more than one
column family in a table with current limitations.

Thanks in advance.