hbase-user mailing list archives

From Marcell Ortutay <mortu...@23andme.com>
Subject HBase range scan seems slow?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2018 23:03:28 GMT
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to HBase and was a bit surprised by performance I am seeing
for a range scan. I am running a range scan over ~3 million rows in an
HBase cluster with 4 region servers, each fairly large instances on AWS (24
HDD). I'm pulling a single float value from each row and computing the
average.

When I run this range scan, it takes ~.5sec to execute, and there is not
much performance improvement. This seems long to me. 3 million floats
should take maybe 10-20MB to read from disk and transfer, and it should be
much faster the second time around since the data supposed to be in memory
in block cache at that point.

Additionally, I tried running a number of these range scans concurrently
against HBase. Again, the performance seemed worse than I expected. The
average execution time goes up quite a bit at what seems like low QPS. For
example at 1 QPS, the average response time is several seconds.

Are these performance numbers typical? or is there some user error that is
causing them to be worse than normal?

Thanks,
Marcell