hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrey Elenskiy <andrey.elens...@arista.com.INVALID>
Subject Upgrade from 2.1.4 to 2.2.3 without 2.1.4 binary
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2020 23:37:34 GMT
Hello,

We'd like to upgrade to from 2.1.4 to hbase 2.2.3 however we are shipping
hbase along with our software on a regular schedule. Each upgrade of our
software requires starting and stopping entire stack (hbase included), so
we are fine with downtime. The following guide (
https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#upgrade2.2) seems to be tailored towards
zero-time upgrades and requires 2.1 version of hbasemaster doing the
draining of region procedures while regionservers are online before
starting 2.2 hbasemaster.

That process seems to be non trivial to automate in our declarative init
system and requires shipping entire old hbase version for just an upgrade.
I was wondering if there are any alternatives if we are ok with downtime.
Couple ideas:

1. Apply the patch (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12944775/0001-HBASE-21075-Confirm-that-we-can-rolling-upgrade-from.patch)
to hbase 2.2. I'd prefer to not do it as we have to compile hbase ourselves
(which we already do, but it seems like throwaway work).
2. Delete MasterProcWALs directory after stopping entire hbase and before
starting new hbase 2.2 master

Any other suggestions?
Andrey