hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Registry.getService VS ServiceManager.lookup
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:04:45 GMT
Actually, you will *always* get the same instance back with HiveMind
... what you get back is a proxy.  If your service uses the threaded
or pooled lifecycle, then the implementation (hidden behind the proxy)
may vary.

Much of the fun code inside HiveMind is to allow for this; that the
same proxy can propogate around the service implementations, or be
exposed to the client application via Registry.getService() and it
will always Just Work, even accounting for things like interceptors,
just-in-time service creations, and various service models.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:37:54 +0100, Knut Wannheden
<knut.wannheden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Igor,
>
> If you're not using HiveMind's threaded or pooled service models for
> your service you should always get back the same instance.  Provided
> that you invoke getService(Class) on the same Registry object, of
> course :-)
>
> With the threaded and pooled service models you might get a different
> instance depending on what thread is making the call.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --knut
>

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:55:05 +0300, Igor A. Deruga <ingvarrr@hotbox.ru> wrote:
> > Good *, dear fellow programmers!
> >
> > As far as I know, avalon's ServiceManager.lookup method returns an instance of
> > some class. When I invoke it for the second time, it returns me the SAME
> > instance. How do I get this result with Registry class implemented in
> > HiveMind? Registry.getService(Class cls) returns me the knew instance every
> > time. I can write a wrapper with Map, but I think there should be a way...
> > Maybe, I'm wrong in some point?
> >
> > Sincerely
> >         Igor

Howard M. Lewis Ship