hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Luke Blanshard <l...@blanshard.us>
Subject Re: Potential memory leak with Threaded model and Events listeners
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:12:37 GMT
Jean-Francois,

The problem with holding listeners weakly is that people commonly create
listener objects on the fly and then retain no other references to them
once they've added them.  So these listeners are thrown away on the next
GC cycle, and they stop working.

One solution to this is to have a tagging interface (we call ours
WeakListener) that tells the event source that it should hold the
listener weakly.  All listeners that don't implement this interface are
held strongly.  This way, you as the implementer of the listener are
telling the event source whether to hold the listener weakly (meaning
you better have a strong reference to it) or strongly (meaning you don't
have to).  As you say, it's pretty easy to write a listeners collection
that honors this WeakListener interface and throws away the expired
listeners when you ask for the current list of listeners.  (We don't use
an iterator, but rather a method that returns an array of listeners, for
thread safety reasons.)

Luke