hivemind-user mailing list archives

From kgignatyev <kgignat...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why constructor requires parameters?
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:55:04 GMT
Cool!

How about another thing: making Interface optional? I am all for
encouraging of the good design, but enforcing it at the price of lessen
convenience does not seem right.

Less is MORE!

And the simplest thing that works is the class itself, when HiveMind
factory is used to obtain object instance it should not be different for
the rest of application if it returns an implementation of the interface
or a subclass that wraps its parent with necessary interceptors.

If a need for the class to be an interface will arise (multiple
implementations, mocks, etc.), it could be easily done with refactoring:
the class becomes interface and interface class parameter will appear in
HiveMing factory definition. That should not affect rest of application
at all.

Also: see http://picocontainer.org/Two+minute+tutorial  when a class
gets registered in Pico with
pico.registerComponentImplementation(Boy.class); it could be retrieved
by its interface Kissable. Having such a feature in HiveMind would not
hurt IMO

Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

>Knut agrees; he's added some much smarter code to HiveMind's
>BuilderFactory that works darn hard to find the right constructor and
>provide it with the correct parameters.
>

>On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:38:33 -0600, kgignatyev <kgignatyev@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Why HiveMind requires constructor parameters if there is only one
>>constructor, or only one constructor that might be satisfied with
>>services from the repository?
>>Kind of contradictory to "Less is MORE" ideology.
>>
>>Could HiveMind in version 1.1 adopt something like Pico's use of
>>getGreediestSatisfiableConstructor()?
>>
>> http://www.picocontainer.org/versions/1.1/apidocs/org/picocontainer/defaults/InstantiatingComponentAdapter.html#getGreediestSatisfiableConstructor(org.picocontainer.PicoContainer)
>>
>>--
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Konstantin Ignatyev
>>
>>http://www.kgionline.com
>>
>>PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons
of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two
miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million
tons of topsoil, add 2.700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population
by 263.000

>>Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:
>>Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public
Schools.