hivemind-user mailing list archives

From "Hensley, Richard" <Richard.Hens...@McKesson.com>
Subject RE: About HiveMind on PPC
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:06:06 GMT
Actually, it's much more than theory. We have a lot of experience with the
high quality JVM's from IBM, HP, and Sun. Because of this, we generally do a
round robin testing cycle on the three platforms that we regularly deploy
on. This means that each release is surface tested on each platform, and
system tested on one platform. Each system test is on a different platform
from the previous.

The real question you need to be asking is how stable, and compliant is the
JVM you are targeting.

>From experience, the following JVM's have been very stable for us.

Sun 1.4.x on Linux
Sun 1.4.x on Windows
HP 1.4.x on HP-UX
IBM 1.5.x on AIX
IBM 1.5.x on Linux

>From reading on the lists, the JVM for OS X has a good reputation.

By the way, we use Hivemind in our application, so by implication, Hivemind
works on our tested platforms.

An off topic note, our application is evolving from an ANSI C based
application, to a Java application. Any guesses as to which has better
performance? If you guessed the Java application you would be right. This
took us old C and Unix hacks completely by surprise.

Richard