hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why constructor requires parameters?
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:51:51 GMT
The interface vs. pojo argument rages on.

I hope, in 3.1, to have a way of building POJOs using something like
BuilderFactory.  One name for these is "resources", I kind of prefer
"beans" ... distrinct from services.

Services will have a more complex life cycle, and can be intercepted,
and can be instantiated on first use (rather than first reference).

It is true that you can "intercept" a class, creating a proxy that's
really a subclass, with every method overriden in some way.  That how
EasyMock Class Externsion works, but I'm dubious.  Forces you to use
bytecode enhancement to do interception, rather than JDK proxies.

For me, part of the distinction between an object (a POJO, a bean,
whatever name you like) and a service is that a service implements an
interface.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:55:04 -0600, kgignatyev <kgignatyev@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Cool!
>
> How about another thing: making Interface optional? I am all for
> encouraging of the good design, but enforcing it at the price of lessen
> convenience does not seem right.
>
> Less is MORE!
>
> And the simplest thing that works is the class itself, when HiveMind
> factory is used to obtain object instance it should not be different for
> the rest of application if it returns an implementation of the interface
> or a subclass that wraps its parent with necessary interceptors.
>
> If a need for the class to be an interface will arise (multiple
> implementations, mocks, etc.), it could be easily done with refactoring:
> the class becomes interface and interface class parameter will appear in
> HiveMing factory definition. That should not affect rest of application
> at all.
>
> Also: see http://picocontainer.org/Two+minute+tutorial  when a class
> gets registered in Pico with
> pico.registerComponentImplementation(Boy.class); it could be retrieved
> by its interface Kissable. Having such a feature in HiveMind would not
> hurt IMO
>

> Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> >Knut agrees; he's added some much smarter code to HiveMind's
> >BuilderFactory that works darn hard to find the right constructor and
> >provide it with the correct parameters.
> >

> >On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:38:33 -0600, kgignatyev <kgignatyev@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Why HiveMind requires constructor parameters if there is only one
> >>constructor, or only one constructor that might be satisfied with
> >>services from the repository?
> >>Kind of contradictory to "Less is MORE" ideology.
> >>
> >>Could HiveMind in version 1.1 adopt something like Pico's use of
> >>getGreediestSatisfiableConstructor()?
> >>
> >> http://www.picocontainer.org/versions/1.1/apidocs/org/picocontainer/defaults/InstantiatingComponentAdapter.html#getGreediestSatisfiableConstructor(org.picocontainer.PicoContainer)
> >>
> >>--
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Konstantin Ignatyev
> >>
> >>http://www.kgionline.com
> >>
> >>PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million
tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create
seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one
million tons of topsoil, add 2.700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population
by 263.000

> >>Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:
> >>Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and
Public Schools.
> >>New York:  State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

> Thanks,
>
> Konstantin Ignatyev
>
> http://www.kgionline.com
>
> PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of
carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two
miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million
tons of topsoil, add 2.700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population
by 263.000

> Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:
> Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public
Schools.
> New York:  State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind