httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: More basics on the perl-framework stuff..
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:51:41 GMT

>>I was thinking that the best solution would be to encode the need for
>>scanning a certain file in its name. e.g. foo.conf.t or foo.c.t, foo.ct
>>(like this one the best since it won't appear in the tests stats
>>output), so you still have one file and no need to open the files at
>>all. The only caveat is if you decide to add the config part to an
>>existing test you have to re-name it in cvs, plus MANIFEST file. Not
>>sure which of the evils is less of an evil :)
>>

> well first there is the same problem as above, if authors forget to name
> their files special.  second, having to rename files is no good.
> third, there will either be funny looking test output or we have to
> rewrite Test::Harness to rip the special part of the name out.

I was thinking some more about this issue and came to a conclusion that
there is nothing we should add, since we have already a working solution:

The response part of the test allows you to specify
APACHE_TEST_CONFIGURE and __DATA__, so if you have only the request part
of the test (.t) just add an empty response part (.pm) where you can add
the __DATA__ section that can push stuff to .conf and
APACHE_TEST_CONFIGURE for doing things during t/TEST -config.

The only change we need is that if the file doesn't specify a handler
its corresponding <Location> won't be automatically added to .conf.
(or we have add some other indication of the the empty response part
which serves only for configuration).

Why do I think that this is a good thing? Because the configuration that
you want to add to .conf is relevant to the response part not the
request part.