httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestConfig.pm
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 04:56:53 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>How the other starting server is supposed to know whether port X is busy
>>because the first server is still running or it didn't quit cleanly?
>>

> {sigh}  It doesn't.  But the user tries to run the tests, gets
> a 'port in use' error, and runs again with '-port select'.  Now
> there are two servers running -- and potentially *left* running.
> He gets this a few times, and codes '-port select' into his
> script.  Now they're propagating like rabbits because of a bug
> in the harness.
>

>>If you want to ensure that all the servers are always killed run,
>>
>>% killall httpd
>>

> A wonderful alternative if the test suite is the ONLY server
> running.  Not.  And the fact that you say that's how you kill them
> might explain why they sometimes get left around -- it's a bug
> you don't see.

OK, I got you. So we should make sure that the test suite will never
leave the server running when the testing is done.

Currently if for some reason this happens, harness will tell you that it
has failed to stop the server. What are the alternative, keeping on
trying to kill the server indefinitely? You realize that the server may
go into uninterruptable sleep state and no kill -9 will help.