httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: multiple configurations
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:25:06 GMT

>>I think the first thing to figure out is whether you can have all the
>>desired configuration co-exist using VirtualHosts, so you won't need to
>>restart the server. I think you should be able to accomplish that.
>>
>>Once you do, I can think of many .pm response handlers include some
>>httpd.conf bits in various VirtualHosts. So you can re-use these.
>>

> Been there. :)
>
> # global
> NewDirective On
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
> 	ServerName foobar
> 	NewDirective Off
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
> 	ServerName bazbam
> </VirtualHost>
>
> vs.
>
> # global
> NewDirective Off
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
> 	ServerName foobar
> 	NewDiretive Off
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
> 	ServerName bazbam
> </VirtualHost>
>
> In each case, how should the bazbam virtual react? And the
> better question (and the reason for testing) is, will my
> module do what it's supposed to do? I don't see much way
> around restarting the server to test for that.

That's true, unless you can test the directive from within VirtualHost,
i.e. not to set it on the global level at all. something like that:

<VH ..>
   ND On
   <Loc ...>
     ND Off
   </Loc..>

   <Loc ...>
     ND On
   </Loc..>
</VH>

<VH ..>
   ND Off
   <Loc ...>
     ND Off
   </Loc..>

   <Loc ...>
     ND On
   </Loc..>
</VH>

so each VH behaves as a standalone server.

> Sorry, but you've lost me now.
>
> Running t/TEST myself will be three seperate test runs and
> muck up a normal ``perl Makefile.PL && make && make test &&
> make install''.
>
> Letting the test suite run itself three times though still
> isn't going to do what you suggest, since it doesn't restart
> the server. The server won't recognize the IfDef's until it
> restarts, right?

That's correct. It won't. I guess that when <Perl> sections will be
implemented, it'll be possible to reconfigure the server from Perl and
then HUPing it will get you a server with new configuration. Just an idea.