httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alain TÚsio <al...@onesite.org>
Subject CGI 403 error though the user www-data can run the script from a shell
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:57:18 GMT
Hi, I have a permission error 403 when on a cgi script,
it used to work and I have no idea why it fails now:

www-data /home/exarch/www $lynx --source http://www.floc.net/www_exarch.py
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>403 Forbidden</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Forbidden</H1>
You don't have permission to access /www_exarch.py
on this server.<P>
</BODY></HTML>

In error.log:

[Tue Jan  8 13:41:06 2002] [error] [client 212.198.0.93] file permissions
deny server execution: /home/exarch/www/www_exarch.py

However from a shell with the user running apache I can execute it:

www-data /home/exarch/www $./www_exarch.py

No list given

So if this is a configuration error the "file permissions" error
message is wrong ?

In the apache configuration file:
ScriptAlias /www_exarch.py /home/exarch/www/www_exarch.py

www-data is a member of the group exarch, and the script has g+rx rights:

exarch /home/exarch/www $ls -l www_exarch.py
-rwxr-x---    1 exarch   exarch       1174 Dec 16 15:59 www_exarch.py

Any idea ? I know I can probably manage to fix it with user and group
ownership tweaks but I'd like to understand why there is a permission
error while I can execute it from a shell.

Thanks
Alain