httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Garrett Meiers" <gm...@consulnix.com>
Subject Re: Solaris 2.6 and Apache
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:23:56 GMT
On 11 Jan 2002 12:24:22 -0600, Ben Ricker wrote:

>I heard of a new Open Source project called OpenPKG. It allows you to
>get RPM functionality across multiple UNICES (they fully support
>Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD). They have a package for Apache 1.3.22
>available. I am going to check it out. Imagine having *1* binary for any
>Unix!

Having *1* binary would be cool -- however what the cross-platform RPM
functionality provides is one install package and the installer would install
the appropriate binary for the system it's being installed on.

Having a one binary for any UNIX is possible -- but it wouldn't be very
efficient -- which is why binaries are compiled for different architectures...

Just my two cents.

Garrett
--
Garrett Meiers