httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@rawbyte.com>
Subject Re: help with user directories and virtual hosts
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:23:27 GMT

> Yeah I've read both.  Neither really addresses my need.  I opened up the
> lines in httpd.conf (global section) which control access to user
> directories ( ~/username/) and I tried adding a line to one virtual host as
> follows:
>
> UserDir /home/joe/shmoe-www/public_html
>
> With the hope that I could just type:
>
> www.shmoe.com/public_html
>
> and get back a plain text list of files in that directory, but it didn't work.

I am trying to understand what you are trying to do, but I am having trouble
doing so :)

The UserDir directive is only useful if you want to access the public_html
directory as www.shmoe.com/~someuser/public_html which is not what you want.

If you want www.shmoe.com/public_html:
a) create a virtual host section
b) point DocumentRoot to /home/joe/shmoe-www/
c) create the /home/joe/shmoe-www/public_html directory.
d) Make sure all directories /home, /home/joe, /home/joe/shmoe-www/,
/home/joe/shmoe-www/public_html have the right permissions 755
e) To enable directory listings, add a "Options +indexes" directive

If you still cannot get it to work, please post the virtual host section and
the errors you are getting in the error_log file

Daniel