httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: cgi problems
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:30:16 GMT
Tim B wrote:

> Hello again,
>
>  Ok I am running Linux Mandrake 8.0 and running
> Apache 1.3.19.
>
> I am trying to get cgi to work on the system. I
> keep getting a 500 error. Here is what is in
> the error_log
>
> malformed header from script. Bad
> header=Content-type text/html: /var/www/cgi-
> bin/test.cgi
>
> can someone tell me what this means please? I
> am a newbie so please in english <grin>

When a server (i.e. apache) sends a document to a client (i.e. a
browser) it has to precede the data with a "header" - this is a short
message which tells the client what type of data is coming next (text,
image, sound - whatever). This is so the client can decide how to render
it.

According to RFC2068 which governs HTTP, the header should look like:

message-header = field-name ":" [ field-value ] CRLF

Compare this with what you've got and you see you're missing the ":"

Change your script to:

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

and it should work.

Rgds,