httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Problem Running Apache Server on Sun Solaris
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:01:56 GMT
Vikram Goyal wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to run apache server on sun sparck solaris 8
> if i use the script
>
> "$ apachectl start"  it shows that httpd started
> but when i try to use "$ httpd start" command it gives me the error that
> conf file not found in /tmp/apache/conf/httpd.conf but in httpd.conf i have
> have set the right path to /u01/products/9.0.1/oracle/apache/conf/httpd.conf

If you check the man page for "httpd" you'll see that httpd (which is
the apache server binary) cannot be executed with the argument "start" -
it doesn't mean anything to it.

"apachectl" is a shell-script which takes human-friendly arguments like
"start", "stop", "restart" etc. and uses them to issue the actual httpd
command.

If your problem is that apache doesn't start at all because it cannot
find the conf file, then note that if you start apache with just "$
httpd" or "$apachectl start", it will look for httpd.conf in the
directory you installed apache in (i.e. if you installed apache in
/home/apache, it will look in /home/apache/conf).

If the config file is not there, you will have to specify it using the
"-f" switch, e.g.

$ httpd -f /u01/products/9.0.1/oracle/apache/conf/httpd.conf

rgds,

Owen.