httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Port 80 problem
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:20:06 GMT
Tim B wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I have a problem with port 80 being blocked by
> my isp because of the code red virus. I have
> gone into the httpd.conf file and changed the
> port number to 81,8080 and several others
> trying to get it load apache and it will not
> load. Tells me that it cannot connect to the
> port. I checked netstat -a and the port that I
> am trying is free but it will not load apache
> when I goto www.mydomain.com
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try
> next? I installed it on a different server and
> I had 0 problems setting it up. it was an older
> system though. I am using Apache and Linux and
> dns2go.com as the client. I have checked to
> make sure that all the ports are changed
> equally. Any thoughts appreciated.

What exactly do you mean by "will not load"? Do you mean:

(a) On the server, apache will not start (no httpd in process-table) and
an error "cannot connect to port" in the error_log.
or
(b) On a client, you get a "cannot connect to server" error.

I ask this because your post is confusing. It starts out implying (a)
but then you say things like:

> it will not load apache when I goto www.mydomain.com
and
> I am using ... dns2go.com as the client.

which implies (b).

In any case, there should be no reason why apache cannot serve any free
port (if started as root) and any free port above 1024 (if started as a
less-privileged user). Check /etc/services for a list of pre-assigned
ports so you can avoid conflicts, although I'm sure that port 81 is
usually free. If the system has been up a long time and you have been
experimenting with apache, there may be some zombie processes blocking
ports - a reboot is the only sure way to clear them. That would help if
you had problem (a).

If you have problem (b), then even if you get apache serving port 8000
(for example), you still might not see it from an external client
because your ISP will probably block this port too (usually, they allow
only a very small sub-set of port numbers).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.