httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Def...@massey.ac.nz>
Subject RE: .htaccess problems
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:59:30 GMT

I have changed it to what Joshua recommended.

ErrorDocument 404 /error.html does not work. It shows the default errorpage

I have changed my password file to /usr/home/myname/.filename
I seem to have problems when I enter additional users with htpasswd
.filename username.Do I need to refresh something?
I removed the limit tags and it was set to valid-user

Redirect /page.html http://www.somedomain.com/ takes me to the page.html
file but it does not redirect me.

All my html files + .htaccess are stored in /usr/local/www/nz
The pages are in the directory because when I use the url
http://mymachine/nz/error.html it shows up

In the error log files I see entries for:

File does not exist : /usr/local/www/nz/unknownpage.html where unknownpage =
a file not in my directory

The following error is :
Client denied by server configuration : /usr/local/www/data/error.html
I assume that points to the default error page

I am new to apache and unix but hope to learn quickly

> From: Defryn, Guy [mailto:G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz]

> I am new to the list and apache.
> I have problems with my .htaccess file
>
> My html files + .htaccess file are located in /usr/local/www/nz
>
> This is what my .htaccess file looks like. Read comments for my problem
>

> # errordocument does not work unless I use a url instead of path
> ErrorDocument 404 /usr/local/www/nz/error.html

ErrorDocument takes a URL-path, which means the part of the URL following
the hostname:port, not a full unix path.  Try
ErrorDocument 404 /error.html
assuming that your DocumentRoot is /usr/local/www/nz

> #authenticate shows up the box but does not let me in. The
> Authname shows up
> on the box.
> #cannot find the users file. The error log says it cannot find file
> #users file has read for everyone.Does this need execute permissions???
> #it seemed to work when I gave the file execute permissions
> Authname "Log in"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/sbin/users

That's a weird place for your user file!  Can you show us the exact error
message from the log?

> <Limit Get POST>
> Require valid_user
> </limit>

Get rid of the <Limit> and </Limit> lines.  They are not correct (it should
be GET), and even if they were correct, they would be unnecessary and a
possible security problem.  Also, the argument to Require is "valid-user",
NOT "valid_user".

> #redirect does not work at all
> Redirect /usr/local/www/nz/page.html http://www.somedomain.com

Redirect also takes a URL-path, so that should be

cd

Joshua.