httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Which effect on the web service ?
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 12:37:15 GMT
Julien OIX wrote:

> hi everyone,
>
> when I restart Apache, I get this message in my log.
>
> [Mon Apr 29 18:51:54 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the
> server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

This means that the only TCP/IP interface which apache is trying to
listen to on your machine is the loopback address of 127.0.0.1
(localhost). When it then tries a reverse DNS lookup it finds no domain
name for this address. In other words, it is not listening to any
network interface. Is this what you expect?

If you have a network card and you expect the machine to be on a
network, you'd better check out your "Listen" directive.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.