httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: 504 Gateway Timeout
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:08:44 GMT
On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 06:42, Stephen Kenny wrote:
> Hi Lee,
> Hope this info can be of some help...
>
> Where is this machine?
> The machine is the client machine.
>
> Which machine is generating the error?
> There are 3 different machines generating the error, all clients.

  Clients receive the error.  The Gateway produces the error.  Where/
what is your gateway server?  You mention a router linking to a
dedicated line.  Do you have another machine running apache and
proxying requests?  Does your service provider host a proxy at
their location?

  If you are running apache on one or more local machines and
proxying locally, then I would be suspicious of bandwidth utilization
or service interruption.  If your service provider is hosting the proxy,
then the source of problems moves further upstream.

  Are these errors really random?  If you request a site and get the
error, then request the site again some time later, do you get the
error again, or do you get the site?