httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: 504 Gateway Timeout
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:34:01 GMT
On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 09:26, Stephen Kenny wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> Our connectivity generally to the web (via Galileo) is on a 256k data line.
>
> Galileo get their internet feed from Esatnet(Tier 1 ISP),  it is a DIA
> (direct internet connection). They then firewall it. The web browser
> traffic is the directed to proxy servers and then is routed to the agent
> site.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Stephen.

  OK.  Correct me if I have misunderstood, but it sounds like the
  proxy server(s) is/are located at Galileo's end of your datalink.

  Given this, here is something to try:  Next time you get a Gateway
  timeout on a site, immediately attempt to connect to any other
  internet site and see what happens.

  While by no means conclusive, if other sites also return Gateway
  timeouts in this timeframe, it looks like Galileo is experiencing
  service interruptions from their upstream source.

  If you can get to other sites while the first site is unavailable
  then you may be experiencing bandwidth problems (Galileo's to the
  requested site, not yours to Galileo), or you may just be running
  into the same problems we encounter with direct connections:
  network congestion, crashed servers, server overloads, etc.

  There is also the possibility of routing problems, depending upon
  how routing and routing changes are handled at Galileo.  But given
  the sporadic interruptions, I suspect this is unlikely.  There is
  nothing from what you have told us that would imply a server
  misconfiguration.