httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Damian Colden" <damian.col...@housing-solutions.com>
Subject Re: Redirecting URL to Specific CGI Script
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:46:28 GMT
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunatley, when I set the DocumentRoot to
/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/sqwebmail, I get an error that it is not a proper
document root. I think the problem is that sqwebmail, in this case, is not a
directory but the name of the cgi script that I want to execute.

Maybe if I explain what I am trying to do differently, I might get different
advice.

Right now my users must type in
http://www.housing-solutions.com/cgi-bin/sqwebmail to execute the cgi script
that loads the webmail interface. I would like to shorten this to
http:/mail.housing-solutions.com

It was suggested that I either 'play' with the aliases and redirects for
housing-solutions.com or create one virtual host that would catch all mail.*
requests and execute the cgi script.

Everything I have tried has resulted in an error being generated either when
I try to save the changes or when I try to apply them.

I have tried URL redirects and genexp redirects. Can't seem to get them
right. I'm not sure why.

Must be my relative inexperience with Apache administration.

On 15 Jun 2002, Dmitry Medvedev scribbled this about Re: Redirecting URL to
Specific CGI Script:

> Hi, Damian Colden.
> The quickest way to do so is to set the DirectoryIndex to
> "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/sqwebmail" of you mail.domainname.com virtual
> host's DocumentRoot. I'm not sure whether it is secure still it works.

Damian Colden, P.E.
Colden & Associates
5376 McCandlish Road Suite 101
Grand Blanc, MI 48439