httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bernard Higonnet <higon...@theworld.com>
Subject Re: Difficulty with content negotiation Apache2
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 08:25:13 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> Bernard Higonnet wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have made content negotiation work fine with Apache 1.3 but have not
>> yet succeeded with Apache 2. Server-info confirms that content
>> negotiation is turned on, and it certainly works because it has
>> generated negotiated error messages. But content negotiation for error
>> messages uses *.var, while I want to use MUltiViews...
>>
>> I strongly suspect my mistake is trivial, but I can't find it.
>

> Ahh, but how are we to help you if you don't provide any details?  What
> does your configuration look like?  What about it is not working?  In
> terms of the differences between the two versions, you should look at
> the MultiViewsMatch and ForceLanguagePriority directives, which are new
> in 2.0.

I was loath to either include the entire configuration file for reasons of size, or exerpt
it for fear of giving an improper impression by not including something in the file.

My problem was that I looked, but not closely enough, at MultiViewsMatch which I mistakenly
thought was needed to do fancy things not previously possible. Including "MultiViewsMatch
Any" made the server behave as I expected.

I would beg all readers to believe that I am NOT incriminating Apache documentation and blaming
it for what was my mistake only, but I think the passage called

"Note on hyperlinks and naming conventions" on page

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html

(which appears to me left over from 1.3) might mention that the behavior described there requires
"MultiViewsMatch Any" (as regards files called abcd.en.html or abcd.fr.html anyway). Of course
there's a good chance I got this wrong too!

Many Thanks for the replies
BT Higonnet