httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J.P. Wadkin C9951627" <C9951...@hud.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Apache 1.3 .22 - "advanced" authentication question
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:29:45 GMT
That won't work - just gets stuck in a loop:

Deny because of IP address
Request u/name and p/word
Deny because of IP address

The most obvious solution is to add every subnet - e.g.

123.123.1 123.123.2 123.123.3 ....

except subnet X to the allow directive. But this would mean adding 250+
partial IP addresses!

When I said that:

"I wanted to simply "allow" all local IP addresses "except" the Web Server,
otherwise "require" a username and password."

I meant that when the Web Server is disallowed access, a username and
password should be requested. I didn't mean that the Server should be denied
access altogether - this would defeat my objective :)

I cant believe that something as simple as "Allow from xxx.xxx. except
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" should be so hard to implement, or uncommon?

Thanks,

John