httpd-users mailing list archives

From Duncan Brannen <...@st-andrews.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Size of Apache in memory
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:07:18 GMT

Hi All,
         Anybody out there running Apache 1.3.26 on Solaris 8 with
SSL?  We've got a few
servers around campus and one of them died recently while spouting cannot
fork process
messages.  It looks like it ran out of memory & running top or ps show's
apache with SSL
fast cgi, mod_python and auth_ldap using 73M of ram per server process, our
main web
server with just auth_ldap is using 7M and a 3rd server running apache,
auth_ldap and SSL
using 34M

Looks like there's been a mention of this recently but..

Is this normal?  It seems a huge jump from the 7M of the standard
install.  If not - any thoughts on
what I may have done or what I can do to reduce the size.  The Netra it's
running on has
been upgraded to have 1G of RAM but it's going to be hit heavily again at
the start of term & I'd
like it not to go splat.

Cheers,
         Duncan

These opinions are mine, not those of the University of St. Andrews
The University's opinion is that I should be getting on with my work.