httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Issac Goldstand" <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] New discovery
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 07:42:58 GMT
From: "Chris Meadors" <clubneon@hereintown.net>

> How is an image or any other "data" different from HTML?

I don't know whether it's the issue, but take the DEFLATE filter
(mod_deflate) - that works only on HTML "data".  Although we sometimes take
our understanding that HTTP payloads can be generic data for granted,
sometimes the data type does make a difference at some small point in the
server - like a HTML-aimed module.  Now in this case, it could be that, for
example, mod_deflate is gzipping all content, which while it *should* be OK,
is not supported by most browsers (which mostly accept only gzipped HTML)

 Issac

  Issac