httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hans Zaunere <h...@nyphp.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Program Execution during Apache Startup
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:33:19 GMT

Hi Gary,

--- Gary Turner <kk5st@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hans Zaunere wrote:
>

> >Hello,
> >
> >Is there a way in either 1.3.x or 2.0.x to have a program run when Apache
> >starts, or even stops?  I have some external software that I need to init
> >(and possibly shutdown) with Apache.
> >
> >I know that I could hardcode something into bin/apachectl but I'd much
> rather
> >have it setable in httpd.conf (and even per virtual host, if possible).
> The
> >closest directive I've been able to find is LoadFile, but this doesn't
> look
> >to be exactly what I need.
> >
> >Ideally, I'd like to be able to run an external shell script (or even
> binary
> >if need be) on Apache startup (shutdown would be nice, but not nessecary).
>
> Just for the sake of starting the conversation,

Thank you :)

> couldn't you wrap this in a script? eg.:
>
> 	dosomething && dosomethingelse && apachectl

Yeah, I could, but I'd like a easier to maintain and centralized
configuration set.  I'm working on building an "application server" and need
to run some external programs, specific to a virtual host.  If all else
fails, then yes, I'd write a wrapper script to make the external calls, and
then start apache, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thank you,

=====
Hans Zaunere
New York PHP