httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] New discovery
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 01:24:22 GMT
Alex Pilson wrote:
> At 12:41 AM +0000 12/3/02, Tim McCormick wrote:
>
>> Ok, I think I've found what's happening to my server, but I still don't
>> know why. It has nothing to do with Flash.
>>
>> Anyone who does not connect to the internet directly cannot access
>> anything other than plain HTML from the site (not even pictures).
>> According to the logs the files get sent out, but they never arrive.
>>
>> Any insights as to what could be the problem?
>

> I had seen that problem when I had a T-1 with Savvis. It was a router
> issue.

How is an image or any other "data" different from HTML?

How is a person not directly connected to the Internet?  Even a pigeon
carrying datagrams is still IP.

I have to admit this problem does have me a little intrigued.  I don't
know if the problem does relate specifically to the type of data or the
connection.

Thinking about it.  The HTML is more than likely all 7-bit.  Images and
Flash will have 8-bit data.  Do images show up broken in people's
browsers that don't work?  Have you tried wget (or even telnet to see if
the headers look okay) on a machine that can't display the pages, to see
if anything is retrieved, and what state it is in.  But why can some
people retrieve it correctly, and others can't?  If the problem was on
the server's end, it would effect everyone.  If the problem was on the
client's end, they shouldn't be able to view any images.  Maybe a
strange interaction between both ends or a router somewhere in the middle?

I like a good mystery I'll keep reading.

--
Chris