httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] OT Answering mail--without causing pain
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:43:24 GMT
Kyle wrote:

>I object to the idiocy of 2.3 from the site you mentioned.  I have over
>600 e-mails to go through today.

About the same here, after the holiday, 250-300 per day normal load.

>I don't have time to scroll down to the bottom of every one of
>them to see the replies.

Nobody does.  If you edit the post you're replying to, and intra-fix
your comments, as I've done, the entire message is likely to fit into
one frame.

>  Replies should ALWAYS be at the top so they are seen when you step
>through your mails. <snip>

So they lose all context?

Yours is a good example of how not to do it.  Let me show you what a
well answered post would look like.

============================

Gary Turner wrote:
> The mail kinda stacked up over turkey-day.  Oh, the pain.
<snip>
> There are tried and true methods of citing, quoting, and replying to
> email that make a thread easy to follow.
<snip>
>For this reason I shall open myself to vituperation and scorn by posting
>the following URL:
>
> 	http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html.
<snip>
I object to the idiocy of 2.3 from the site you mentioned.  I have over
600 e-mails to go through today.  I don't have time to scroll down to
the bottom of every one of them to see the replies.   Replies should
ALWAYS be at the top so they are seen when you step through your mails.
If you are curious why I'm ranting, you can see the original post,
BELOW.  ;)

There is absolutely no need to repost the entire original message, or
worse, the whole thread unless you're replying to it all.  And
certainly, in the name of politeness, remove all previous sig
lines--especially the list sig.

--
gt                                           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving