httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Server Farm
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:52:03 GMT
Bruce Wright wrote:

>In the near future, I plan to convert about 200 MS/IIS web servers to
>RedHat/Apache.  I have one fundamental question, and I wanted to tap into
>your wisdom.
>
>With respect to managing 200 apache installations, I see a few options...
>
>1.	Compile source on each server
>2.	Compile source on master server and copy out to all servers (all
>servers are the same hardware, but 90% have 2 CPU's and 10% have 1 CPU)
>3.	Use an RPM (standard? or build a custom RPM?)
>4.	Some other method

Assuming that you have the skills to administer a Linux installation,
and do not *need* Redhat support (Suit support paranoia qualifies as
need ;P ), may I suggest you test Debian?

The Debian package system will make application and distribution
upgrades, and security patches seamless.  No dependency hell.

Use the stable distr, Woody.  Debian stable is the perfect server
distribution.  It is as nearly bug free as possible (thus, stable).  Say
goodbye to patches or upgrades that break your system.

How to best propagate Linux and Apache is beyond my ken.  I will say
that with Debian, installing Apache 1.3.26 took only a few minutes +
config time.
--
gt           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
The advice is free, and worth every cent.