httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Veydajar" <Veyda...@mail.northnet.ru>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] USER directive in MPM_WINNT?
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 04:58:06 GMT
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr."
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 5:02 PM

> >Hmmm... Is this even necessary for Windows?
>
> Oh, very strongly encouraged.  But then you need to take the time and lock
> down your files that 'normal users' wouldn't have permission to touch
(e.g.
> c:\Windows, c:\program files, etc) and then open up permissions (e.g.
those
> programs who in 2003 still insist on writable program files folders,
instead
> of per-user files under the \windows\profiles or \documents and settings
trees.)

Hmmm. That is, if I make the new user account a member of Users group?
What if I make it a member of Guests group - then it would have close to
nil privileges, all I'd have to do is explicitly allow it (the account, not
a group)
to access Apache and DocRoot. Or, I could even create a new group for that..

Are my thoughts heading the right way?

> Because most users don't go that extra step, Apache 'by default' makes no
> assumptions.

Assumptions about what, if I may ask?

BRegards,
Veydajar