httpd-users mailing list archives

From Garth Winter Webb <ga...@perijove.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Handler for images in a directory.
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 04:24:51 GMT
On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 20:03, Chris Meadors wrote:

> I have the CGI working already.  I was wanting to do it without so much
> CGI.  Have Apache just do more internally.  The "handler" works
> perfectly.  Every "image/jpeg" in the directory calls the CGI script
> instead.  But what I was wondering is if it would be possible to have
> Apache be able to serve the image without a second script dumping it
> from the drive.

What exactly do you mean by "dumping it from the drive"?  I still don't
understand what this CGI is doing and why it makes it harder to get the
image.  The only possibility I can think of is that your script can
somehow tell that the image is being requested by a browser that has
just loaded your popup window as opposed to some guy entering a direct
URL.

But as stated before, it is simply impossible to show images on a page,
yet not let people copy those images.  Really all you can hope to do is
make it *hard enough* so that a certain percentage of your audience will
give up before succeeding.

Furthermore, this percentage has a ceiling.  At some point, the people
who continue trying to load your image will give up attacking the CGI
wall you are building and simply turn their browser cache on, load your
page and then harvest the disk cache for the image.

So, the best thing for you to do is make your technique just as much a
bother as rooting through the disk cache, otherwise its a wasted
effort.  In my opinion, a popup window without a toolbar and javascript
to disable right clicking meets that amount of bother.

--
Garth Winter Webb <garth@perijove.com>