httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Pelton <...@ams.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Problem with mod_limitipcon not limiting concurrent connections
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:51:20 GMT
I am using mod_limitipconn with apache 1.3.22 on Linux to limit the number
of concurrent connection for by IP address. I am using the module as a DSO.
When I call a perl cgi which just sleeps from apache benchmark

  ab -n 4 -c 4 -d -S http://dnp.ams.org/cgi-bin/sleep.pl

I get the correct response in the error log.
   "Client exceeded connection limit."

When I run the same cgi 5 consecutive times. Each cgi invocation is in a
different browser window (Mozilla 1.2). I do not get an error message. Each
cgi runs to completion. This doesn't make any sense to me since it's
running the cgi 5 times concurrently.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

This is how I have configured mod_limitipcon.
<mod_limitipconn.c>
    <Location />
        MaxConnPerIP 3
        # exempting images from the connection limit is often a good
        # idea if your web page has lots of inline images, since these
        # pages often generate a flurry of concurrent image requests
        NoIPLimit image/*
    </Location>
</IfModule>

This is the perl cgi I am using to test.
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
use lib  "/usr/lib/perl5";  # add to library list
use strict;     # enforce var declarations
use CGI qw(-debug);
my $cgi = new CGI;

print $cgi->header;
print $cgi->start_html(-title=>"Keep connection open test",
                           -BGCOLOR=>"#FFFFFF");
sleep (10);  # wait
print "Done<br>\n";
print $cgi->end_html();