httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laurent Blume <laurent.bl...@infores.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache vs iis (with its 10 users connection block)
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:10:27 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:
> I've no doubt this is correct, but doesn't it just show how crazy and
> intrusive the MS "licensing" scheme is? What right does anyone have to
> tell you what you can use your computer for? The only thing I can think
> of is that MS do not trust their OS to operate successfully in a server
> environment, which says rather a lot...
>
> In any case, how can they enforce it? Your webserver doesn't have to
> tell the world what OS it's running or what licensing agreement you
> might have or not have with whoever. Nor does the OS know how many
> clients apache is serving.

As for the first point, I completely agree with you, except that I think
their main goal is to sell the more expensive server licenses to their
customers. This was a practice very much in practice with all vendors a
few years ago, not that much nowadays, but still, it's not exceptional.

As for the second, alas, I've read yesterday an article on
securityfocus.com that seems to indicate that, on WinXP, the system does
send its complete configuration to microsoft via an SSL connection.
Here is the reference:
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/2746

Since this is a bit OT, I'm not going to go on further on that thread :-)

For those using apache on Windows (and I'm one of those...), just don't
forget to read your license before to check what you're allowed to do :-)

Laurent
--
   IRI-Secodip                  www.infores.com
   4, rue André Derain          mailto:laurent.blume@infores.com