httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krisztian Gyoerffy" <krisztian.gyoer...@selecktra.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Problems with virtual hosting
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:35:05 GMT
Hi Apache users,

first of all I would like to say, I made all the steps I
could do to figure out the problem by myself. So I tried
to find an answer by searching the Web, tried to find an
answer by reading the manual, tried to find an answer by
reading the FAQ, and beside of that I am playing around
with this issue since 2 weeks.

So let me explain what is the problem exactly:

I have a Linux box with SuSE 7.1 and apache 1.3.19 running
on it, installed from a SuSE rpm package.The web server is
listening on the standard HTTP port (80). Beside of this
web server I have an extra standalone webmail service
listening on port 3000.
The machine is a multihomed one, doing maquerading,
connected with one IP to the Internet and with an other
one to my internal network.

I decided to set up an alias for the webmail service, that
it is reachable via this, and I don't need to define
everytime the port after the address (instead
www.test.com:3000 having webmail.test.com). So I set up
this alias in the DNS, which also points to the same
external IP like www.test.com.

After this I configured the virtual hosting section in
httpd.conf (and I suppose, the problem might be here),
which looks now like this:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
           Servername         www.test.com
           DocumentRoot
      "/usr/local/httpd/test_home/docs"
           ErrorLog
          /usr/local/httpd/test_home/ErrorLog/error_log
	  CustomLog
         /usr/local/httpd/test_home/CustomLog/access_log
common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
           Servername              webmail.test.com
           ProxyPass               / http://a.b.c.d:3000/
           ProxyPassReverse        / http://a.b.c.d:3000/
</VirtualHost>

The phenomen is that eighter my common web page of
www.test.com will be displayed even if I try to connect to
webmail.test.com or apache connects me to the webmail
service, but I get various errors on the page (e.g. couple
of pics cannot be displayed, cannot found, etc) and
nothing is working there. If I connect to the port of the
webmail service directly like www.test.com:3000 it works
perfectly.

I tried to replace the * with the external IP address, and
I also tried to define a.b.c.d as both the internal and
external address of the machine with no success.

My question is, how is it possible to configure apache so,
that if somebody connects to www.test.com, he will reach
my common web page, and if he connects to webmail.test.com
(so to the alias for the webmail service), he will be
forwarded to the webmail service?

Thanks for your help in advance

Regards

Krisztian

PS: if you need more details about my config, please ask
me.