httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jimmy McDonald <...@bsdshell.dyndns.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache says it's started but it hasn't....
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:48:45 GMT
If I remember correctly you are on a Solaris box.

I have run into this problem before and its very frustrating.

Since the logs are showing you nothing, my next step would
be to take a look at what is really happening.

The following will create a big ugly file with a bunch of stuff
that looks impossible to understand.

truss -o truss.out -f ./apachectl start

----[sidenote]----

	If you have linux, I believe the equivalent would be:

	strace -o strace.out -f ./apachectl start

	If so, just do a man strace

----[/sidenote]----

If you issue that, all the system calls, signals and faults of the
process and child processes will be sent to the file truss.out

>From there you might be able to get some insight as to what
exactly is causing the failure.

This file is not easy to read and you might want read the man
pages on it to see if some of the options might be interesting
to you but the man pages don't tell you how to read the output
but rather how to pick and chose what you want to output and
to some extent, how you want it to look.

There could be things that on first pass look like errors
where the process says it couldn't find something in a certain
path but if you look it will keep looking in other places and
in the end actually does find it.

Usually what I do edit the truss.out and go to the end of the
file and work my way up because the message where process terminated
will be most likely be at the end. Of course, some condition that
was recorded earlier in the file might be the reason it terminated.

Sometimes even using truss doesn't reveal what you were hoping it would
but since it takes almost no time it's worth a go.