httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laurent Blume <laurent.bl...@infores.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Question about start up script
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:03:23 GMT
batristain@mediageneral.com wrote:
> I modified it and place it in my /etc/init.d and I'm not getting any errors when
> I start ./apache start - should that start the ./apachectl sslstart or just
> ./apachectl start
> When I tried to do ./apachectl sslstart it just returned a list of commands that
> could be used for ./apachectl - and of course sslstart wasn't one of them

Be careful, you might be confusing things here:

the script I sent you is a slightly modified version of an 'apachectl'
script, that starts the Apache daemon with SSL, whatever the 'start'
parameter is (start, startssl, sslstart, start-SSL).
That way, it can be easily used as a system startup script.

When it's installed, you should not use Apache's own 'apachectl' at all,
since it might have a different configuration, particularly to store the
process ID.

Always use
/etc/init.d/apache start
or
/etc/init.d/apache stop

And make sure before the httpd.pid file's directory *does* exist.

Now, on another hand, your Apache install:
if its 'apachectl'  does not know about startssl, then it was probably
*not* installed with mod_ssl (or something went wrong somewhere).

As I may have missed some of your posts, can you detail again your
current configuration, concerning your Apache version, and how you
installed it, source, package, etc ?

Could you please post the output of:
./httpd -l

and
ls <your apache dir here>/modules (for Apache 2)
or
ls <your apache dir here>/libexec (for Apache 1.3)

No use trying to help you configure SSL before making sure you have it
installed at all :-)

Hope this helps,

Laurent
--