httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dennis Foreman" <dfore...@stny.rr.com>
Subject [users@httpd] ~users in a domain
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:02:31 GMT
Here's a clarification of what is happening and what I am trying to
accomplish.

In my httpd.conf, I have:
	DocumentRoot "C:/documents and settings/webroot"
      <Directory "C:/documents and settings/webroot">
	</Directory>
and
	<Directory "c:/documents and settings/*/my documents/public_html">
      </Directory>

When I login on my computer I login on a network login screen which asks for
my userid (foreman) and my domain (wtsn). This connects me to a Windows XP
profile named foreman.wtsn .When I open Windows Explorer, I see all my files
under that folder name. There is also a local-machine profile (foreman)
which shows 'some' of my non-web-related folders, but I never log-in on that
machine as a "local" user, so most of my files do not appear in that
profile.

1. When I try to access my website files on this machine as:
dforeman.cs.binghamton.edu/~foreman, I get an errorlog entry:
	"c:/documents and settings/foreman/my documents/public_html" does not
exist. That's because its known as foreman.wtsn/public_html

2. When I try to access the files as:
dforeman.cs.binghamton.edu/~foreman.wtsn
I get an errorlog entry:
	"c:/documents and settings/webroot/~foreman.wtsn" does not exist. That
seems to be because apache doesn't know that foreman.wtsn is a user and is
looking for a file in my webroot directory.

What I want is to have all users, in my domain and outside, use the URL in
(1) above, as well as just: dforeman.cs.binghamton.edu

Is there a way to do this? I thought I might try using aliasmatch or a
regexp in a directory statement. But I'm not sure of the proper way to do
that.

regards,
D. J. Foreman, Ph. D.
website: http://WWW.CS.Binghamton.EDU/~foreman