httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:57:57 GMT

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Mac Serve wrote:

> [Wed Apr 30 15:49:12 2003] [alert] [client 127.0.0.1]
> /Library/WebServer/Documents/~members/.htaccess: AuthName takes one
> argument, The authentication realm (e.g. "Members Only")
>   Still the same. Got rid of the [], kept the quotes, and still nothing.
> I have the path to the htpasswd file correct, and I had it set up
> before... and I don't know  what apache is complaining about.

It has nothing to do with the htpasswd file.  Apache is reading an
AuthName directive that has the wrong number of arguments.  Are you
ABSOLUTELY SURE that you are looking at the .htaccess file at
/Library/WebServer/Documents/~members/.htaccess?

If so, perhaps you have some non-printing characters in there messing
things up.  Try deleting the .htaccess file and carefully retyping it
using a reliable plain-text editor.

Joshua.