httpd-users mailing list archives

From "t-systems-fitz" <t-systems-f...@web.de>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache with my own libraries
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 12:15:37 GMT
Hello,

thanks for your answer.

I can't use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH because the httpsd starts with suid. In my
environment the webadmins should be able to start the httpsd. So we use the
suid-Bit (apache listens to a priviliged port). But if the webadmins sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the right path and starts httpsd, it doesn't work. It
seems that the path-infos are not used by httpsd, because it starts with
rootrights. I think this is normal, otherwise any user could change the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to his own libraries and this would have securityproblems.
Do you have a solution for my problem???

best regards fitz

-----Original Message-----
From: Broekman, Maarten [mailto:Maarten.Broekman@FMR.COM]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 1:36 PM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] apache with my own libraries

Why don't you want to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH? That's the standard why of
including new library paths. Since /opt/apache/lib is not defined as a
standard path, you need to make sure to set it for all applications that
need to access the libraries there. There's no way to get any application
to use a non-standard library path without including it in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Apache is currently compiled with the libraries in /opt/apache/lib. The
problem is that when you start Apache, it doesn't know how to find those
libraries. It just knows it wants libssl.so.0.9.7 but it can't find it in
it's library path. ldd will show you which library was used to compile the
binary. You need to make sure all the paths to the libraries used are a
part of your library path in order for the binary to work after compilation.
regards,
maarten