httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marc Dreher <MarcDre...@gmx.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Redirecting requests, proxy.pac file
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 16:12:25 GMT
Hi,

Background:
We are using a central proxy configuration file proxy.pac to redirect users
to different squid proxies. The file is distributed via apache.
Users should have the DNS name of the distribution server for the .pac file
configured in their browsers.
Now we have set up a new distribution server for the proxy.pac file and
changed the DNS to point to the new IP address. But there is still a lot of
traffic on the old server, so lots of people have the IP configured instead of the
name.

Now the problem:
We want to show an html error messages when peoples browsers fetch the old
proxy.pac file, stating that the server is outdated and that they should
correct their proxy configuration settings.
I tried the following:
- remove the proxy.pac file and configure apache to show a custom error page
(via ErrorDocument directive)
- redirect to a custom error page when requesting the proxy.pac file (via
Redirect directive)

Nothing of that worked. Using redirect I can see in the log that the custom
html file is requested but it is not shown in the browser. The problem is,
that no html (error) page is shown, if the proxy.pac file is requested via the
browsers automatic proxy configuration method. Only a Alert window pops up
stating that whatever page I was requesting could not be found. If I put the
URL of the proxy.pac file into the URL line in the browser I get the error
message or redirection.

Does anybody have an idea on how to solve this problem? Can I configure
something inside the proxy.pac file to achive this?

Thanks for any hints

Cheers
Marc

Bitte l├Ącheln! Fotogalerie online mit GMX ohne eigene Homepage!