httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error Logs
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 05:49:41 GMT
On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:43:50PM -0700, vizion communication wrote:
> Nobody is blaming anyone -- just stating facts -- good
> documentation is written for people who are NOT programmers
> or experienced sysadmins -- and be designed for who have a
> genuine desire to become competent apache web server
> administrators and to give those apirants a chance of doing
> so BY reading the manual and applying the result.

Look, I really hate to be the wet blanket here but would you mind providing
some concrete examples of the problems you perceive in the documentation?

While I will admit that I consider myself an expert user, it's my opinion
that the Apache documentation is one of the shining examples of good
documentation in the "free software" world - and considerably better than
much "professional, commercial" documentation I've been exposed to.

There is plenty of introductory information on how things hang together,
including descriptions of configuration file 'containers', and individual
entries generally have hyperlinks to all related modules and directives.

So...where can the docs be improved?  Joshua pointed the docs project,
which is where such feedback should be going.  It's time to move on from
trying to define what good documentation is, and instead point out where
the Apache documentation specifically fails to meet those criteria.

Zac