httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] https not working for MSIE.
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 05:45:56 GMT
Hi Veena,

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:44:55PM -0700, kulkarni veena wrote:
> Thanks. i did try all of the options given in the faq
> except for trying out different openssl version (i'm
> using 0.9.7a).
>
> Nothing so has worked, i will try changing openssl
> version.

That being the case, what are the browser-specific SSL options you
currently have in your configuration for MSIE clients?

You should definitely be using OpenSSL 0.9.7a - it's the latest recommended
version.

> The weird thing is https works with all Netscape
> versions but with NONE MSIE (5.x & 6.X).

As per the FAQ entry I pointed at, it's not weird at all.  MSIE has a lot
of quirks in its SSL implmentation - some related to its support for
particular ciphers, others to nonstandard behaviour it expects to find when
talking to the server.

I would go so far as to claim that it is not possible for a "vanilla" SSL
configuration (ie, one without user-agent specific options) to work with
a "vanilla" IE installation - so the exact configuration you are running is
quite important.

Cheers,

Zac