httpd-users mailing list archives

From Benjamin Krueger <benja...@seattlefenix.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Getting apache to respond to just an IP - instead of having to add :81 on the end!
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 23:37:42 GMT
* -SupaShaD- (cracked013@rocketmail.com) [030522 15:56]:
> Well, the subject pretty much says it all - I have
> apache bound to port 81, however users can't just type
> in my ip address - is there any way I can tell apache
> to just automatically do that?  I want to be able to
> have it just point to the ip, and not have everyone
> have to type :81 at the end.
>
> Thanks for the support - replies can be sent to
> cracked013@rocketmail.com for direct approach!
>   -Supa

Apache has nothing to do with this. If it is running on 81,
the user needs to type in :81. How is the browser supposed
to know to send requests to port 81 otherwise?

The browser default is port 80 because port 80 is the
defined standard. Apache can't force a browser to change
a defined standard and use another port by default.

--
Benjamin Krueger