httpd-users mailing list archives

From Josh Wyatt <Josh.Wy...@hcssystems.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Behavior of Timeout, and "W" status on /server-status
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 13:22:52 GMT
Greetings all,
In the course of deploying Apache (version 1.3.19 as supplied by Oracle) on RH7.3, we've noticed
some peculiar behavior.
When checking the /server-status page produced by mod_status, we see lots of processes in
the "W" state.  The legend
indicates the server is "Sending Reply," when in fact this does not seem to be the case.

Other interesting things about the slots in question:
1. "Acc" has zero accesses for this connection, and a high number for both this child and
this slot (i.e. 0/3972/3972)
2. "SS" climbs steadily to the "Timeout" value
3. "Req" is always zero for this offenders

These processes communicate with backend application (Oracle) servers via java servlets with
mod_jserv.

When we look at the actual PID, and dig in with a tool like lsof, we see that the httpd process
is no longer connected
with the client.  In fact, in testing, we see the client go away fairly early; but the httpd
process lingers around
until Timeout is reached.  For this reason we think the "W" state is wrong on the server-status
page.

When Timeout is reached for "SS" on the status page, the child httpd process goes to the "_"
state, and is then reaped.

We see in the output of lsof for the process, that although the client browser has long since
disconnected and closed
the HTTP connection (so why the "W" status?), the httpd process is still connected to the
application server.

Any thoughts on this?  The temporary fix seems to be to lower Timeout to a value which will
keep the process table
clean, but this may kill long-running reports served by our infrastructure.

Thanks,
Josh