httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joe Kmoch <km...@whs.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] still problems with .htaccess
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 02:55:02 GMT
I still can't get .htacces to work for a particular directory.  Can
someone else suggest another solution or a place to go for some additional
help?  I've included my original message below.

Thanks!

Joe

--
Joe Kmoch                                     Washington High School
Director, Academy of Information Technology   2525 N. Sherman Blvd
kmoch@whs.edu                                 Milwaukee, WI  53210
(414) 875-5982 (desk)                         (414) 875-5900 (school)
(414) 875-5980 (academy)                      (414) 875-5915 (fax)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 16:04:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Joe Kmoch <kmoch@whs.edu>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] problems with .htaccess

I believe I have followed the directions on setting up basic authorization
for directory on my website (including a .htaccess file within that
directory and creating a .htpasswd file elsewhere and pointing .htaccess
to it), but when I try to access that directory, I never receive the popup
box asking for my username and password.

I am running Apache 1.3.26 and have restarted the server after each change
I've made to either of these files.

I have also checked both the access_log and error_log and have not noted
any references to requesting a username and password.  I have also made
sure the ownership and protection are set as indicated in the helpfile for
setting up basic authorization which I got from the apache.org site.

Is the problem with the following portion of my httpd.conf file?

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options",
"FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
#    AllowOverride None
        AllowOverride ALL
#
#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/apache/httpdocs">
    AllowOverride ALL
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Can anyone point me in whatever direction to solve this?

Thanks!

Joe